How it Works / FAQ’s
They have a saying in Bali… “Good for you – Good for me!”
We LOVE this concept as it’s based on courtesy, mutual co-operation and creating Win/Wins all round! ♥️ We try to base our business and studio culture on the same philosophies, so read on to find out how it all works!
MOST ASKED QUESTIONS –
- WHO WE’RE FOR: Defy Gravity Fitness is an adult Female & LGBTQIA+ friendly Bungee, Burlesque and Aerial Suspension fitness studio. Our classes/courses are open to 18 years+. Teenagers between the ages of 15 – 18 years of age are permitted to attend class with an 18+ parent or guardian enrolled in the same class. Sorry, anyone under the age of 15 is unable to attend our classes, but are permitted in private training and lessons. There are no upper limits on age!
- TASTER / CASUAL CLASSES: As our classes are both instructional and progressive, we DO NOT offer Casual or Trial/Taster places in our regular group classes. MOST students just sign up for the the 8 Week FUNdamentals course to get the full Beginners experience, but for those who are really unsure, you can book a Private Lesson or Group Workshop to try it out, OR keep an eye out for an upcoming Taster class which normally run once a term.
- Often a quick phone call will answer your questions and/or allay any concerns you might have, so please don’t hesitate to give Cherene a call for a chat during business hours.
- WHEN WE ARE OPEN: With the exception of Public Holidays, Christmas and a quick Mid-Year break (to re-charge the batteries), our classes operate all year round.
- Group classes run weekdays as per current timetables
- Private Lessons and Personal Training are available weekdays & Saturday mornings (outside of class times)
- Parties (Hen’s, Birthday’s etc), Private Workshops and Group Events are available Saturdays from 12.00pm. Advance bookings required (min 14 days).
- Sorry, we do not run weekend classes.
BOOKING YOUR CLASS/es
Defy Gravity classes are both instructional in terms of skills, and progressive (based around fitness and strength) – therefore most of our classes run as 8 week courses. You will be booking into the same class each week, and your place is automatically booked into each week for the duration of the course. Also see Flexible Class Options below.
You can book online or over the phone – but either way, we strongly recommend you book your place as early as possible, especially if your own availability is limited or you are coming with a group.
NEW! FLEXIBLE CLASS OPTIONS –
We understand that life sometimes gets in the way, and you may not be able to make your regular class, so during Term 3 2021, we will be trialling a new Flexible Class option.
There’s nothing better than seeing our classes FULL and BOPPING, but if you are genuinely sick or know there’s a class you won’t get to, you CAN cancel out of the class, and book into an alternative class where/if there are places available. This is a DIY Online service, and you will need to cancel out and re-book at the same time.
The cut off time to change your class is NO LATER THAN 10 AM the morning of the class!
HERE’S HOW TO DO IT!
- Login to your Defy Gravity Online account here.
- If you are current student you will have a profile already set up with your email address as your Login. If you don’t know your password, use the Forgot Password button.
- Go to Bookings > My Bookings
- Find the day/time of the class you wish to cancel from the Upcoming Classes list, and click CANCEL
- Go to the Bookings > Class Bookings tab at the top of the page
- Find the alternative class you’d like to book into, and click BOOK!
- AND YOU’RE DONE!
If you have any trouble enrolling in another class, CLICK HERE to request the class change.
What you need to know:
- Priority is given to VIP Members.
- Alternative classes are subject to a place being available in a suitable class of the same level or lower.
- If the class you ideally want is full, we can put you on the standby list and contact you IF a place becomes available. Just contact Cherene to request a Standby place.
- It is up to you to ensure you use ALL your classes within the same term. There are no refunds, credits or roll-overs into a future term.
- If you are unable to find a suitable class/time, you may like to arrange a 1-off catch-up private by appointment ($55 p/session).
- LATE CANCELS (ie. after the 10am cut-off time) and NO SHOWS – the class will be forfeited OR you can arrange a Catch-up Private by appointment ($75 p/session).
- Repeat Offenders who do not show up or early cancel out will incur a $10 fine for each event. This will be applied to your Mindbody account.
PLEASE NOTE: We worry about you if you just don’t show up, so we urge all students to let us know if you can’t make it – even if it is after the cut-off time. As we custom rig the bungees for you personally, and if you’re not going to be there, well – we don’t need to rig your bungee. It also helps us in time-managing the classes. From your class mates point of view… there’s nothing worse than being excited for a fun class, turning up and expecting everyone to be there – only to discover there’s only 1 or 2 of you there! 🙁
LATE Cancellations (ie. after the 10am cut-off time) and NO SHOWS, the class will be forfeited and no make up class will be offered. No Shows will incur a $10 fee applied to your Mindbody account.
MINIMUM & MAXIMUM CLASS SIZES + CLASS CANCELLATIONS –
Our group classes are small with a max of 6 – 8 people per class, and we require a MINIMUM of 50% capacity (ie 3-4 participants) for a class to be viable enough to go ahead.
If by 3pm on the day of a class there is less than 3-4 people attending, we reserve the right to cancel the class. We also reserve the right to cancel class in the event of an Instructor falling ill and a suitable substitute not being available to cover. In either event we will notify the students who were going to attend with as much notice as possible and provide alternative class options.
If a class you would like to book into is already fully booked, you may still be able to put your name on the Standby List! If someone else cancels out of the class, we will notify you BY EMAIL that a place has become available and you can jump in. You’ll just need to confirm that you wish to take that spot.
PAYMENTS & REFUNDS
Please consider your ability to commit to and attend your classes as we have a strict NO refunds, credits or transfers policy if you miss a class or are unable to complete the term. Once a term has started we are unable to fill your place if you drop out.
To be fair to ALL students/clients, we have ONE rule that applies to EVERYONE regardless of circumstances. We courteously request that you do not ask for refunds, as refusal often offends.
ARRIVING FOR YOUR CLASS –
We ask that you arrive at least 5-10 minutes before your class is due to start. Please allow additional time for contingencies such as traffic, weather and parking. We do value the safety and experience of every student attending our classes and individually rig your bungee at the start of each session to your specific weight and height, so please ensure you arrive with plenty of time to get harnessed up and adjusted for your class!
- As classes run on a tight schedule, we will NOT hold starting a class waiting for late arrivals.
- We do not admit late arrivals to classes that have already completed the warm up. If you are more than 5 minutes late to your class the session will be forfeited.
I’ve booked in. Is there anything else I need do before starting classes?
Once you book and pay for your classes, you will receive a class confirmation email. This contains a link to our Enrolment & Health form which we require all NEW students to complete and submit online before attending your first class.
What should I wear for Bungee classes?
Either full length or 3/4 Leggings or Bike Shorts is the best. Short shorts (like we wear for pole dancing) are not great for these classes – and just make sure whatever you wear is snug fitting so there are no wardrobe malfunctions during class. On the top a singlet top or short sleeve t-shirt – and crop tops are totally acceptable in my classes (you’re going to get a bit sweaty).
Footwear – for Bungee classes you’ll be best off with some soft, flexible shoes (I love my Skechers).
What should I wear to an Aerial class?
Please wear long or 3/4 length leggings with a snug’ish fitting t-shirt. Nothing too big that you can get tangled up in. As we will be doing inversions, please wear a suitable sports bra or crop top, so as to avoid wardrobe malfunctions 😉 This is a barefoot class, so please wear socks or grip socks.
To protect the hammocks Jewellery and Watches are forbidden in the hammocks. If you wish to wear a smart watch or fit-bit, please ensure it securely covered by a soft wrist/sweat band.
What else do I need to bring with me?
With Covid-19 still lurking around, please BRING YOUR OWN EVERYTHING – yoga mat, a towel – and don’t forget a big bottle of water.
We also keep bottled water in the fridge, so if you do happen to forget or run out, just ask! A 600ml bottle is just $1.00
Do you offer Casual or Taster Classes?
We run Taster Classes from time-to-time for people wanting to “try out” a class on a 1 Off basis! As our group class sizes are quite small (and more often than not, fully booked), we do not offer Taster or Casual places in our Group Classes. If you are a current student, wanting to “top up your classes, this can be arranged directly through Cherene.
How many classes a week do you recommend to get results and/or meet my goals?
As with any form of exercise, the more you do, the faster you’ll get there! We recommend 2 classes a week with a rest day in between where possible. If you’re just starting out with exercise, or recovering from an injury or illness, start off with 2 classes. If all you can manage is 1 class a week, don’t sweat it. You’ll still see results (it’ll just be a little slower) – but you’ll have a ton of fun doing it!
Are the classes instructional, or do we just follow along?
Most of our classes are instructional and progressive – ie. there is a curriculm that allows you to learn as you go… but in saying that, I ALWAYS give full instructions in classes and am there to assist you with anything you are not sure about. You will never be left to just try to work it out for yourself.
I’m hooked! When and how can I book for the next term?
A few weeks before a new term starts, we release the timetables for the following term and open bookings. As our class sizes are quite small (max of 8 per class), we strongly urge you to book as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
I’m pregnant! Can I still do these classes?
Firstly – CONGRATULATIONS – but sorry, we DO NOT recommend our Bungee or Aerial classes until after the baby has arrived – sorry!
TERMS, CONDITIONS & STUDIO ETIQUETTE
As with any business, there are a few Terms & Conditions you need to be aware of. You can read these here >>