Hello! It’s lovely to meet you…
I’m Cherene – founder/owner of Defy Gravity Fitness studio. I’m also a wife, mother and grandmother, and my husband, Graham and I live in Lake Macquarie (Newcastle) with our fur child, Axel. Our tribe of adult children are all off living their own best lives.
I haven’t always been in the fitness business, and you could say I was a bit of a “late bloomer” in that regard. It started in 2004 when at the age of 41/42 years young, my eyes were opened to the brand new fitness/sport of Pole Dance just coming to Australia. Prior to that I’d been too busy being a full-time working wife and mother of 4 young children, and had been somewhat blessed (most would say) with not really having to worry too much about my weight.
That was until the 40’s rolled round, and my now mid-life body had other ideas! Suddenly, maintaining the body I’d always had became a little more difficult, and I had to try a bit harder! But I’d never really enjoyed the gym or sport or anything fitness(y), but I felt like I needed to do SOMETHING! Question was…..WHAT?????
So when the Pole Dance thing came on my radar, FINALLY something that looked like a bit of fun, a lot different, and something that might actually keep my interest for more than 3 visits. I wanted IN, and after learning everything we could, my daughter Bailey and I had opened our first pole studio in late 2005 – Pol-arise Fitness & Dance. It didn’t take long before our “interests” expanded into Aerial Yoga, Burlesque, Barre, Pilates, Suspension Fitness, Aerial Silks and Hoop and of course, Bungee Fitness.
In 2010, at the age of 47/48, my body sabotaged me! After a couple of years of significant stress, too many deaths in the family and an injury which took me out of teaching for nearly a year – well, I’d managed to pack on around 20 extra kilo’s, my health was going down hill and I looked and felt like shit! My own journey back to health only served to fuel the fire in my belly to help others create transformational and life long change in their own lives! You can read more about My Personal Story here >>
Today my Resume (if I was to write one) would look something like this –
- Pole Dance, Aerial Yoga and Fitness Instructor
- Barre x Pilates Fitness
- Suspension and Functional Fitness
- Stretch/Flexibility & Mobility
- Nutrition, Health, Lifestyle and Behaviour Change (Pn1)
- Meditation, Breath work, Mindfulness & Stress Management
- Supplements Educator – sports, natural and herbal supplements
- Business & Marketing Coach – starts-ups, sales and marketing
These are the things that have helped ME become the happiest and healthiest ME I’ve ever been in my life. The things that light me up every day, and that I bring to YOU (my clients) through my exclusive Personal Training and Defy Gravity Fitness classes.
My Mission is Simple…
- to have you feeling fitter, stronger, more energised and self confident
- to empower you to become the BEST version of yourself you possibly can be, and
- to provide a space where we can all leave our troubles at the door, be ourselves, and enjoy the company of other like-minded people while we get fitter, healthier and happier….together!