Defy Gravity’s Power Barre-Pilates classes are designed to get you in great shape and unleash the strong, beautiful, confident woman inside!
When people hear the word Ballet Barre are often transported back to their early days as a baby ballerina, when time at the barre meant thousands of pliés, stretches, positions of the feet, and a whole lot of fancy footwork. I GET IT! My own “ballet career” was short lived! I threw away my ballet shoes around the age of 7 or 8 when my ballet teacher refused to allow me to get a Tutu or Toe Shoes 😢
BUT…some 40 years later I re-discovered my love of this beautiful style of dance and became one of the early pioneers of Barre Fitness in Australia, when I created my Power Barre dance/fitness program back in 2011.
What is Power Barre?
It is a fun and unique dance/fitness workout technique inspired by elements of Ballet, Pilates and Yoga – and focuses on zero-impact, high-repetition movements and “power pulses” designed to strengthen your body in ways that few other workouts can.
Join us in the playground of possibility!
ALL Bodies are Barre Bodies… ALL ages, shapes, sizes and abilities!
- You’re never too young or too old.
- You’re never too curvy – and
- You’re never too unfit, inflexible or un-coordinated
You don’t have to be a dancer to work the Barre…
Each barre class is designed to be a full-body dance/fitness workout where, addition to building overall body strength, you will also develop improved balance, posture, flexibility and mobility. In some classes, you’ll use just the barre (or chair or benchtop) as well as your body weight, while other classes may incorporate additional tools (props) like resistance bands, light hand weights, pilates balls, exercise balls and more.
As much as this is a zero-impact workout, DON’T underestimate the power of the Barre! I guarantee will leave class with your muscles burning and legs shaking.
What to Wear & Bring to a Barre Class
- Yoga/workout wear – leggings, crop top and/or snug fitting top
- Yoga mat, towel and bottle of water
So get ready to Plie, Releve &Pulse your way to a Fitter, Sexier YOU!
Some of the MANY Benefits of Power Barre
- When was the last time you tried something for the first time? You might feel a little nervous about taking a Barre class because you’re not a professional dancer, or think you have 2 left feet – and that’s perfectly okay! It’s is all about the experience of trying your hand at something you’ve never done before.
- It’s ZERO impact (ie there’s no jumping or leaping) so it’s a great option for our Plus sized friends and those with joint problems (knees, ankles etc).
- It’ll help you develop stronger, longer, leaner muscles WITHOUT bulking up!
- It’s a great cardio workout where you’ll sweat, burn calories and build endurance – AND because it’s a strength building, muscle toning workout = it can help with weight management, too.
These are just some of the reasons why every woman should try a Power Barre dance/fitness class at least once. Although the health benefits are a great reason to give it a go, it’s also about having FUN and loving your body just as it is!
We offer 30-40 minute Power Barre classes IN-STUDIO, LIVE ONLINE & ON-DEMAND.